Panther Press

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Back to Article
Back to Article

Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

#3 Tyler Hudson runs the ball 50 plus yards for the Panthers first touchdown. Oak went on to win 14-13 and advance to the first round of playoffs.

Ben Stewart

Ben Stewart

Ben Stewart

The Panthers took on a previously 5-2 College Park Cavaliers team in an important game to advance Oak to the playoffs on Oct. 26.

Penalties plagued the Panthers in the first half, stopping many possible scoring drives. That was a sharp contrast to only one penalty the fans saw against Oak Ridge.

As the first half progressed, junior quarterback Montrell Bolton threw a screen pass to leading senior receiver Tyler Hudson for a stunning 68-yard touchdown, tying the close game 7-7.

The Panthers found the endzone one more time with a 2-yard run from freshman Charles Garrett.

The Cavaliers ended up kicking a field goal to bring the Panthers lead to four points ending the first half 14-10.

The Panthers offense couldn’t find the endzone in the second half leaving the game in the hands of the Oak defense to bring home the win.

“Sometimes family members slip up and the others have to catch them. We were there for them on Friday night,” senior middle linebacker AJ Roberts said.

Even when penalties went into the Cavs’ favor, the Oak defense never settled and played with 100% effort during the entire second half, only allowing one field goal by the Cavaliers offense.

“The effort by the defense was unrelenting,” junior corner back Marcus Joseph said. “It was just unbelievable to see how someone is willing to sacrifice their body to win a football game. It’s amazing.”

To end the charge, junior middle linebacker Kaden Kleinert sealed the deal for the Oak win with a sack on 4th and 10, causing the Cavs to give up possession.

In the end, it was a low scoring game, 14-13 Panthers. With the win, the Panthers knocked the Cavaliers out of the playoffs and the Panthers advance to

Oak’s next showing is homecoming game against an under-performing Klein Cain team Nov. 9.

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Features

Debate Stampedes Competition

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Features

Hanukkah Lights Up December

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Features

Final Countdown

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Features

Merry Wishmas

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Featured Sports Story Carousel

The Battle of Midway

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Features

HOSA Rockets To Future

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Features

Capturing Student Moments

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Opinion

Renaissance Festival Disappointments

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Features

Just For J Turns Wishes Into Realities

• Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth

Features

The Rising Of KOTV

The student news site of Klein Oak High School
Panthers Clinch Playoff Birth