Panther Press

Filed under Features, Showcase

Don’t Say It!

Theater Program Delvers With Latest Production

Back to Article
Back to Article

Don’t Say It!

The actors help the play come to life by staying true to their characters.

Jacob McCready

Jacob McCready

Jacob McCready

The Cursed Play, The Scottish Curse, Big Mac, call it whatever you want, but Don’t Say Macbeth! Klein Oak Theatre performed their latest one act play titled “Don’t Say Macbeth!!” Oct. 26, 27, and 29.

This show is special because it was the first time Klein Oak Theater performed a one act play for their main show. A “One Act” play is usually performed in the fall in preparation for the annual One Act Play competition where they are restricted by UIL’s rules on terms of set and crew. For example, for UIL they can only use standardized gray set pieces to create the set rather than building it on their own.

“It was really fun and different because we never had a one act show on the big stage for the whole school and it was cool to be a part of that,” junior Katie Fisher, who plays Customer 2, said.

The show summarizes the story of Macbeth and the superstition surrounding the show.

“It’s the most fun I ever had directing, and it was surprising because I thought it was [going to be] cheesy,” the director of the show, Brea Garza, said.

This production was also very different from past shows since it had a swift timeline. The set was designed and built in four weeks and the actors only had a short time to memorize their lines and blocking (movement).

“They’re awesome, dedicated, and had to learn lines and roles in about two weeks,” Garza said.

The set was as it was inspired by Austin Java, a café in Austin and Garza gave sophomore Sydney Shell, who played the waitress, the creative freedom to rename it Jenna’s Java in the show. There were also other touches they threw into the show such as posters from previous plays on the wall and rigged a system behind the walls to make the picture frames rock during the earthquake scene.

“It was really good, and I didn’t know they used real food in the show and the little Easter eggs such as old posters from previous shows,” senior Leslie Alvarez said.

The conspiracy theory surrounding Macbeth being a cursed play also came to life during the show. Many issues plagued some cast members and the overall show including food poisoning and technical difficulties with the lights. The cast and crew resolved the issues before the show began and lived by the motto, “The show must go on!” Some crew members new to their skill had to deal with the struggles and learned how much work and stress can go into a production.

“It was very stressful and fun to learn a new skill in lights,” sophomore Blaine Wiegand said. “We had a few disadvantages because three lights blew out, but we overcame and still delivered the show. One light blew up on opening day and we had to fix it and the show went on.”

The actors and crew members got a chance to grow like family and they enjoyed bringing the play to life.

“It was a lot of fun and I loved it as it gave a community and family to act with and better me as an actor,” senior Luke Sexton, who plays Grimes in the play, said.

• Don’t Say It!

Features

Capturing Student Moments

• Don’t Say It!

Features

Friendsgiving Bash

• Don’t Say It!

Features

Just For J Turns Wishes Into Realities

• Don’t Say It!

Features

The Rising Of KOTV

• Don’t Say It!

Features

The Club That Gives Back

• Don’t Say It!

Features

Atypical Olympians

• Don’t Say It!

Features

GSA Supports Pride

• Don’t Say It!

Features

Check Yes Or No

• Don’t Say It!

Features

All Is Fair In FFA

• Don’t Say It!

Features

Healthy Food Choices Change Lives

The student news site of Klein Oak High School
Don’t Say It!