Panther Press

Filed under Features, Showcase

Hanukkah Lights Up December

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hanukkah Lights Up December

A centerpiece of the celebration Hanukkah is the menorah. The ancient lamp holds nine candles. The lighting of eight candles symbolizes the number of days that the Jewish temple blazed, with the ninth used for lighting the others. This is the menorah used in the Greenwald household and apart of their religious traditions.

Sam Greenwald

Sam Greenwald

Sam Greenwald

With holiday cheer in the air, many have something to celebrate in the winter season. Senior Sam Greenwald is no different, as he just spent a memorable week with his family celebrating Hanukkah. The Jewish festival is one of the major holidays that took place this month, lasting from Dec. 2nd to Dec. 10th.

Hanukkah commemorates the re-dedication of the Temple of Jerusalem following defilement by the Syrian Greeks around 2nd century BCE. In remembrance of this event, Jewish households light candles on the Menorah, a 9-branched candelabrum, and pray each night.

“For the first night you just put one candle in, then you say the blessing and light it,” Greenwald said. “My favorite part of celebrating this year is blessing the candles for the very first time.”

In the story of Hanukkah, the oil used to light the candles lasted eight days miraculously when it was expected to last only one. Eating fried foods during Hanukkah alludes to this importance of oil. This includes potato pancakes (latkes) and jam-filled donuts (sufganiyot), and other foods popular in Jewish households.

“We eat oily things, so the two most traditional are latkes and jelly donuts,” Greenwald said. “We buy the donuts, but for latkes you basically shred potatoes and some onions and fry them up.”

Hanukkah is a beloved time of year for many students who celebrate it with family, friends and community coming together during this time.

“It’s a fun time to spend with family and see people you don’t always see.” Greenwald said. “Hanukkah’s story serves as a reminder that God provides.”

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Entertainment

Trendy Teens

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Features

Strutters Spring Into Contest Season

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Features

King for a Day

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Features

Sweet Sweets Addiction

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Features

Going Once, Going Twice, Sold!

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Features

Global Backpacker

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Features

StuCo Spreads Holiday Cheer

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Features

Debate Stampedes Competition

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Features

Final Countdown

• Hanukkah Lights Up December

Features

Merry Wishmas

The student news site of Klein Oak High School
Hanukkah Lights Up December